Organizing a cake smash photography session to mark your child’s birthday is such an adorable way to capture this special moment in their lives.
If you don’t know the first thing about what to expect during a cake smash session or how you should prepare, below are a few helpful tips.
- Choose a photographer that has worked with children before. A photographer that has experience with children will know how to get the best shots and how to make your little one feel at ease.
- A little practice never hurts. For some children, a cake smash session can be quite overwhelming since they are suddenly placed in the spotlight and are being egged on by a bunch of adults to dive into a massive cake. Get them used to this process by giving them a small cake or cupcake at home to practice on.
- Use a theme. If your child has a favorite toy or book, planning the cake smash session around this can really bring your session to life. Having a theme will also make it easier to choose a cake color.
- Choose your cake carefully. When you order your cake, opt for a small to medium sized cake and choose whipped or butter cream instead of fondant as this can be quite difficult for a small child to break. It’s also recommended that you make sure your child doesn’t have any allergies.
So what should you bring along to a cake smash photography session?
- Have some wet wipes and a clean change of clothing available for afterwards.
- If a cake needs to be refrigerated, rather make sure it’s room temperature before the session.
- Find out from your photographer about a backdrop and how much of the theme décor you’ll need to supply.
- If you’re bringing other children along, it would be best to bring someone along who can watch them so that there aren’t any distractions.
Remember that a cake smash session is meant to be a fun experience, so trust your photographer and just go with it.